West Indies vs New Zealand 1st ODI Match Prediction
Match: WI vs NZ ODI Match Prediction
Time: 17 Aug, 11:30 PM (IST)
Series: 1st ODI Match
Venue: Kensington Oval – Bridgetown, Barbados
WI vs NZ Dream11 Prediction:
- Shai Hope scored 115 against India in his 100th ODI at the Queen’s Park Oval last month and the opener is our pick for West Indies’ highest run scorer in this game. We are backing Akeal Hosein to be West Indies’ top wicket taker in this ODI. He has a strong record in this format and should get plenty of assistance from the pitch.
- Kane Williamson averages 47.48 in this format and has hit 13 centuries since making his debut in 2010. The captain is a strong choice for New Zealand’s highest run scorer on Wednesday. With the ball, our tip to be top wicket taker is left-arm fast bowler Trent Boult. He is equally as effective at the start, middle and end of the innings and has excellent control.
WI vs NZ Live Streaming:
TV channels: This match will be shown live on BT Sport, ESPN Caribbean and Sky Sport NZ.
Live Streaming: Fans can stream the match via the FanCode App.
Weather & Pitch Report:
There could be the odd shower around the start of the game but we expect dry and fine conditions for the rest of the match with the temperature peaking at 31 degrees.
This wicket generally provides more for the spin and slower bowlers rather than the pacers. Any score over 280-290 will be tough to chase down.
The team batting second has won five of the last seven ODIs at this venue and we predict that both captains will want to field first if they win the toss ahead of this match.
L, L, L, L, L
❌❌ ❌ ❌❌
W, W, W, W, W
✅ ✅ ✅ ✅✅
WI vs NZ Team News:
WI Team News:
After being rested for the final IT20 on Sunday, we expect skipper Nicholas Pooran to come back and lead the team in this game. There is no place in the squad for Rovman Powell or Romario Shepherd with Roston Chase ruled out through injury.
NZ Team News:
There was no room for sentimentality or handing out caps to new players in the final IT20 with only Trent Boult rested. This series could be slightly different with still over a year until the ODI World Cup but we expect the Black Caps to put out their strongest XI for this opener.
WI vs NZ Pre-Toss LineUps:
Small League Team: Pre-Toss
West Indies showed plenty of character to get the win in the final IT20 and, although there are some different players in this side, they will need to find the same spirit if they are to trouble New Zealand in this opening ODI. The hosts pushed India close in this format last month and we expect the same in this game but are predicting a win for New Zealand.
New Zealand are favourites to beat West Indies
WI Key Players:
The opener takes on the vice-captaincy as well as the wicket keeping duties in this series. He averages 49.58 after 101 ODIs.
The top order batter has struggled with his fitness this summer but has been one of West Indies’ most consistent batters when available. He hit 53 runs from 35 balls against the New Zealand attack on Sunday.
The left arm spinner has taken wickets in 22 of his 26 ODIs since making his debut in January 2021. His best figures in this format are 4-39 against Netherlands earlier this year.
NZ Key Players:
The skipper has only played two ODIs since the World Cup Final defeat, via a Superover, in 2019. However, he is an all-format player and will be looking forward to batting again in this game.
There are some doubts as to whether Ferguson has the fitness to be able to fire in the T20 World Cup, so this series will give him the opportunity to show that he can deliver with the white ball in a longer format.
The opening bowler is one wicket away from bringing up his 550th wicket for New Zealand. Only Richard Hadlee, Tim Southee and Daniel Vettori have more.
WI vs NZ Team Info:
WI Team Updates:
- West Indies managed a consolation win in the last T20I match against New Zealand with a series loss of 2-1.
- West Indies are struggling for a win in the recent ODI matches after their 0-3 loss against India at home.
- They lost by 0-3 against Bangladesh at home and by 0-3 against Pakistan away in the previous ODI series as well. Their last ODI win came against the Netherlands on June 4 and now they rank in 9th position in the ICC ODI teams’ chart.
- Shai Hope and Kyle Mayers will probably open the inning.
- Shamarh Brooks will bat at the one-down position.
- Brandon King and Nicholas Pooran will handle the middle-order batting.
- Brandon King was the highest fantasy points gainer in the previous match.
- Nicholas Pooran will lead the West Indies as a Captain. He is also a good Wicket-Keeper
- Nicholas Pooran will do the Wicket Keeping for West Indies.
- Akeal Hosein will take care of the spin bowling of the team.
- Alzarri Joseph and Gudakesh Motie will lead the pace attack of his team.
NZ Team Updates:
- New Zealand ended their recent Europe tour with 11 wins in 11 white-ball matches against Scotland, Netherlands, and Ireland.
- They are unbeaten in ODIs this year and have won the last five ODI matches against West Indies as well.
- Devon Conway and Martin Guptill will probably open the inning.
- Kane Williamson will bat at the one-down position.
- Glenn Phillips and Daryl-Mitchell will handle the middle-order batting.
- Kane Williamson will lead the New Zealand as a Captain. He is also a good Batsman
- Mitchell Santner and Ish Sodhi will take care of the spin bowling of his team.
- Lockie Ferguson and Tim Southee will lead the pace attack of his team.
Grand League Team: Pre-Toss
Shai Hope(WK), Kyle Mayers, Shamarh Brooks, Brandon King, Nicholas Pooran(WK)(C), Shimron Hetmyer, Jason Holder, Akeal Hosein, Gudakesh Motie, Alzarri Joseph, Jayden Seales, Kevin Sinclair, Keacy Carty, Keemo Paul.
Devon Conway, Martin Guptill, Kane Williamson(C), Glenn Phillips, Daryl-Mitchell, Jimmy Neesham, Michael Bracewell, Mitchell Santner, Tim Southee, Ish Sodhi, Lockie Ferguson, Trent Boult, Ben Sears, Finn Allen(WK), Tom Latham(WK).